Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chipotle Pinto Beans


I finally made another attempt at Pinto beans. Last time I made them similar to other bean soup recipes and they were a bit bland and I couldn't seem to figure out how to liven them up. The answer: chipotles in adobo. Smoked sausage adds a nice smoky flavor which helps too.

1 lb pinto beans, soaked
1/2 lb smoked sausage (like kielbasa), sliced thinly
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 carrots, sliced thinly
1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
1 can zucchini in tomato sauce
1 can whole tomatoes, smushed
1 small can tomato sauce (no salt added)
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
2 cups water
black pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 bay leaf

Brown the sausage in large soup pot. When almost done add onions and some black pepper and allow them to carmelize a bit too. Add bell pepper, carrots and garlic and allow to cook about 5 minutes or so (stir a few times) before adding liquid. Add remaining ingredients and allow to simmer about 2-3 hours or more (stirring occasionally) until the beans are softened.
I served these with chipotle chicken quesadillas (recipe will be in next post).

Notes:

I used 3 chipotles and it was a bit too hot. I will try 2 next time.

The zucchini in tomato sauce was just what I had on hand, but I liked it and will use it again.

The form of tomatoes you use can vary greatly. I prefer Hunts tomato products. the soups never taste right to me when I use other brands. (The zucchini was Del Monte). I am sure it just depends on what you are used to, as long as it is good quality.



No comments:

Post a Comment