Monday, October 19, 2009

Cabbage soup #2





I used the other half of my head of cabbage to make another version of cabbage soup. This time I used smoked sausage, added more veges and no milk or cream. Very Different and very good.




1-2 slices of bacon. chopped

1-2 sausage links sliced

1 whole onion, slivered or chopped

Black pepper

Crushed red pepper

4 cloves of garlic, minced

3 medium stalks of celery, sliced

2-3 carrots, sliced

2 large potatoes, diced

1 turnip, diced

1/2 head of cabbage, chopped bite size pieces

1 cup corn

1 15 oz can tomatoes

4 c chicken broth

6-8 cups water

Parmesan rind

1 bay leaf

Oregano

Parsley

1/4 c wine



Chop bacon and fry in soup pot, add sliced sausage and brown. After the meats begin to brown add onions and peppers and allow them to caramelize as well. Add next six ingredients (the remaining veges) and stir after each addition. Cook these for 5-10 minutes stirring frequently. Add next 8 ingredients. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add wine, heat 5-10 minutes more. Sprinkle with fresh herbs if desired. Good with Italian bread.


Notes:


I used smoked sausage because that is what I had on hand. Italian sausage would probably be good too. Of course a lower fat turkey or chicken sausage would be a healthy choice. Smoked sausage gave it a nice smokey flavor quite different from last weeks creamy version.

I added the turnip that I forgot to put in last week. It adds a slightly sweet flavor to the soup. I learned from making vege beef soup how much this can add to the soup. It is a very subtle flavor so no need to worry about not liking it.

Since I didn't use the milk, I added tomatoes and a bay leaf to give it more flavor. I also thought the corn would go well with the smokey flavor from the sausage. I used stewed but diced or whole (just mush them up a bit) would be fine. Whatever you have on hand.

I also did not use salt, but I am sure it is even tastier with it. Keep in mind some of the ingredients have salt so you won't need to add much.

Adding 3 carrots and the tomatoes made the soup more colorful as well as tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment