Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cabbage soup for a cool fall day


Tuscan Style Cabbage Soup
Serves 4-6
I have been wanting to make a cabbage soup for a long time. I used Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana as a guideline and then researched cabbage soup recipes online to make changes. I happened have the dill on hand. The soup turned out to be very tasty.



1-2 slices of bacon. chopped

1-2 sausage links sliced

1 whole onion, slivered or chopped

Black pepper

Crushed red pepper

4 cloves of garlic, minced

3 medium stalks of celery, sliced

1-2 carrots, sliced

2 large potatoes, diced

1/2 head of cabbage, chopped bite size pieces

4 c low sodium chicken broth

6 cups water

Parmesan rind

Oregano

Parsley

1 c Milk

1/4 -1/2 c half n half (or cream)

1/4 c wine

fresh dill (optional)


Chop bacon and fry in soup pot, add sliced sausage and brown. After the meats begin to brown add onions and peppersand allow them to caramelize as well. Add next five ingredients (the rest of the veges) and stir after each addition. Cook these for 5-10 minutes stirring frequently. Add next 5 ingredients (don't add milk yet). Simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add milk, cream and wine, heat 5-10 minutes more. Sprinkle with fresh dill if desired. Good with Italian bread.


Notes:


I used bratwurst because that is what I had on hand. Italian sausage would probably be best. Of course a lower fat turkey or chicken sausage would be a healthy choice. Smoked sausage might be tasty too.


The richer the milk or cream the better the soup. I compromised by using whole milk and a little half n half (I didnt have any cream on hand). Still tasty but not as high in saturated fats...


I also did not use salt, but I am sure it is even tastier with it. Keep in mind some of the ingredients have salt so you won't need to add much.


More carrots might have made it a little more colorful...I only used one.




No comments:

Post a Comment