Monday, October 26, 2009

Tis the season for zuppa tuscana

This soup is based on Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana.

1-2 Italian Sausage links, sliced thinly
Bacon
1 med onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 potatoes, diced
1/2 bunch of kale,
2 cups low sodium Chicken broth
2 cups water
black pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp fennel seed ( I grind it up in a mortar and pestle)
milk or cream (or half n half)

Brown sausage and onions. Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except milk. When potatoes are tender and kale is tender add milk , heat through.

Note:

The original recipe calls for bacon too ( brown it with the sausage and onion) but I didn't have any and it tasted just fine.

I have used many different types of sausages, Apple smoked chicken sausage, turkey sausage, etc. to make it healthier. I even used a bratwurst once when it was all I had on hand and they were all good.

I find the fennel seed to strong if left whole, but it adds a nice flavor to the soup.

I use mostly milk with a small amount of cream to give it the rich flavor without all the fat.

I sometimes add a bit of wine before the milk too, if I have some leftover, but it is optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment