Friday, September 18, 2009

Sauteed Green Beans With Bacon and Mushrooms

Here is my new favorite green bean recipe.

This recipe is based on a recipe I found on Simply Recipes. The original recipe called for pancetta and shallots. Since I didn't have those ingredients on hand I substituted bacon and sweet onion and discovered that the addition of mushrooms makes it even better.

Sauteed Green Beans With Bacon and Mushrooms

2 slices of bacon, chopped
1 lb Green beans
1 sweet onion
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp of butter, optional
black pepper to taste


Brown the chopped bacon in frying pan. Saute the onions, mushrooms and black pepper until browned. Add green beans and butter if desired. Cook until green beans are as tender as you like.

Notes:

You can't have too much onion it adds a lot of flavor.

You can parboil the green beans if you don't like them too crisp.

I usually use white button mushrooms. I used a small can of mushrooms once and it was still quite tasty.

The butter is optional, but adds a nice silkiness and another layer of flavor to the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment