Friday, September 18, 2009

Veggies, veggies and veggies

Here is one of my latest discoveries for healthy vegetable recipes...

Calabacitas




I first got the idea from one of my favorite new healthy cooking sites "Eating Well". Then I researched various recipes and made my version...




1 T Olive oil
1 whole sweet onion
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 cup corn
1/4c Roasted red pepper, chopped or cubanelle
1 can diced tomatoes ( 15 0z) including liquid
1 can green chilies, or fire-roasted green chilies
1/4 c Cilantro or more if desired
1/2 tsp Oregano
Black Pepper to taste


First saute the onions, garlic, squashes, corn and black pepper over low to medium heat in olive oil to soften, ~ 5 minutes ( do not brown).

Add remaining ingredients saute a couple minutes until everything is heated and some liquid has evaporated.

Serve...


Notes:

You can slice or dice the veggies. I think the slices might look prettier...

I used frozen corn but fresh would probably be even better (canned would be fine too, just drain).

I used Hunts Oregano, basil flavor diced tomatoes which were yummy. Some recipes said to omit the liquid but I included it. Also can use fresh tomatoes. I recently made this with fresh tomatoes and it was great.

I highly recommend Trader Joe's fire roasted green chilies, they gave it a nice amount of spice. Made this again with regular green chilis and a roasted cubanelle pepper. It was very good, after reheated the cubanelle pepper became spicier...


The next morning I made a breakfast burrito using the leftovers and egg with cheese wrapped in a tortilla.

The leftovers were great by themselves too...

No comments:

Post a Comment